Admitting your fear to your dentist can help, as he or she is trained to deal with this fear. Remember as much as 20 percent of Americans deal with some form of dental phobia, so you are not alone. Dealing with your fear will take some time, and the following homemade perfume will help you along.
Secrets Behind The Anti-Anxiety Perfume
The first ingredient to pay attention to is lavender. Lavender contains several ingredients that affect your brain and nervous system in several positive ways.
Lavender has volatile ingredients like linalyl acetate and linalool. These ingredients have a olfactory effect that travels all the way to the hippocampus area in your brain. Your hippocampus should help reduce cortisol production, which is your stress hormone. You should feel calmer with a quick sniff of lavender.
The second ingredient to pay attention to is vanilla. Like lavender, vanilla contains several ingredients that have a direct olfactory effect that will stimulate your brain positively. Because vanilla contains a chemical called vanillin, you should definitely feel calmer and slightly euphoric when you smell it. Vanillin stimulates your hippocampus region as well. Vanilla will help reduce cortisol levels and increase feel-good hormones like dopamine and serotonin.
Remember this is just to help you while you and a dentist, such as Edwards; Kenneth G, are working on your dental-related anxiety.
The Recipe For Your Calming Perfume
You will need the following to make your natural fragrance:
- 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil or almond oil
- A dark glass bottle with a spray top
- Glass to mix your ingredients
- 4 tablespoons of the highest proof vodka you can get (minimum 80 proof; this is needed to fuse the ingredients together)
- Vanilla essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Cedarwood oil
- Coffee strainer
You can purchase most of these ingredients online or at your local health food store (except for the alcohol, which you can find at most grocery stores). To make your perfume, just follow the steps below:
- Add 6 to 8 drops of cedarwood oil to your mixing glass.
- Add 15 to 20 drops of vanilla oil.
- Add 9 to 12 drops of lavender oil.
- Mix those ingredients well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and shake for at least 2 minutes.
- Place the glass in a cool dark place for 48 hours (wait 6 weeks for a full and rich scent if you want)
- Transfer your mixture using your coffee strainer and funnel into your perfume spray bottle.
This perfume should last a few months as long as you keep it from sunlight. As you can see, you can smell wonderful and make your dental visit a better experience.